The Nature and Person of Messiah Yeshua
A Study by Pastor John © Oct. 2000
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Parent except through
Since no one can come to the Parent, except through Jesus the Holy Child of Yah we will certainly want to
know more about him! That's the purpose of this study. Who is Messiah Yeshua? Who is Jesus the Christ?
This is part two of a three part series:Since the beginning of time people have sought God. According to the Bible, since the very beginning Elohim,
the God of the Bible, has sought us as well (Gen.3:8)! As we discussed in the Nature and Person of YHVH Elohim earlier in this series, since the dawn of time God has
gradually and progressively revealed more of the divine nature to humanity, drawing us ever Homeward. About 3000
years after the creation of the present world YHVH Elohim revealed the Second Person of the Holy Trinity, our Lord
and Savior Jesus Christ. Jesus was present from the beginning (John 1:1-5), but at the time foreordained by God the Savior took
physical birth on this earth and dwelt among us.
Early in Genesis we read how humanity joined the angelic rebellion against Elohim, which was spearheaded by
Lucifer and how God, from the beginning, provided a way out for those who would surrender and embrace God's Ways
Go to: The Nature and Person of YHVH Elohim
Go to: The Nature and Person of Ruach haKodesh
So YHVH Elohim said to the serpent:
As followers of Jesus we understand that the "he" who was to be the seed or offspring of "the woman" was the
messiah who would counter and ultimately cancel the universal effects of sin. Humanity, through our original parents,
joined in the rebellion and thereby received spiritual death as YHVH had foretold at Gen. 2:17. It would be the work of
another human being, "born of a woman", to counter spiritual death and bring to fruition God's original plan for the world
and its inhabitants. This Plan is the blueprint for the history of the world. We the people of the earth are all players in this
drama. We are the defendants, the witnesses and ultimately the victims in this celestial court case, the struggle between
God's Way and Lucifer's Way, between good and evil.
Here in early Genesis we know very little about this coming Redeemer. As with everything, God's revelations
occur gradually over time. When Elohim created Adam and Eve it was for fellowship and as caretakers of a paradise
earth. The sin of the universal rebellion robbed us of these blessings! Due to our part in the rebellion we lost our natural
spiritual connectedness with God. We as a species died spiritually. No longer could we walk and talk with YHVH
Elohim as a friend with a friend as described in Genesis 3:8. The sin of rebellion erected a wall or partition between
humanity and our Creator. Nonetheless, human history is replete with our attempts to regain our lost spiritual nature.
As one studies the world's religious systems and traditions one is lead to the inescapable fact that there are
amazing similarities in the histories they describe. Virtually all ancient peoples speak of a world flood and, though the
accounts and names vary, of the brave and wise Noah. They speak of the Tower of Babel, of the parting of the great
sea, of the lost garden paradise, of promised virgin births and so on and on. These are doubtless memories of actual
events that befell our common ancestors or promises of things to come. They were preserved in folk memories even as
the details became less and less clear with the passage of time. The memories were reworked, retold to fit in with
contemporary understandings and beliefs. There are so many similarities! This can not be purely coincidental!
Yet despite our best efforts humanity has remained spiritually dead, cut off from our Creator! As our sins and
human wisdom increased so did the wall of partition separating us from our righteous God. Yet YHVH Elohim is
merciful and desires to restore what has been lost and has, since the very beginning, provided a way out.
We humans were given free will by our Creator. We are not a slave race! We have the freedom of choice! In
order for humanity to stand with God or fall by joining the rebellion we had to choose our loyalties. At the time of the
first choosing there were only two humans on earth and so these two were able to make that choice. The impact of their
decision has continued to ripple through all human generations. Today we are billions and this complicates things even
more! In order to honor our freedom of choice each of us have the right as individuals to choose God's Way or the Way
of the Rebellion. Throughout history many people have chosen God's Way, many have chosen the Rebellion.
As YHVH Elohim gradually revealed the plan of restoration to the world it was evidenced that a single group
of people would be utilized, the descendants of Abraham (Gen. 12:1-3). Space forbids a detailed recollection of how this
process progressed generation by generation. It was through this plan however that the three great religions came into
being, Judaism, Christianity and Islam. We will speak of the revelation of Islam another time. For now, we will focus on
how the promise went through Abraham and Sarah's lineage.
As God was progressively revealed through the Jewish prophets and scriptures the world, through Israel,
received better understanding of the nature and person of both YHVH Elohim and the coming messiah.
In due course of time the messiah came to this earth exactly as prophesied by the Hebrew prophets. The
Sacred Name of YHVH was intimately associated with our Savior. Indeed, he was named Yeshua which means
literally "YAH SHUA" -- Y' : "YHVH" -- SHUA : "saves" or: "YHVH Saves". The messiah then, came as predicted
and with a most astounding and appropriate name!
Concerning the Messiah it was revealed by the holy prophets that he would be mortal, "the seed of a woman" - Gen. 3:15 --- Fulfilled - Gal 4:4; Luke 2:7; Rev 12:5. Note that according to Jewish
understanding this "woman" referred to Israel, i.e. to the descendants of Abraham and Sarah. God told Abraham and his descendants that
the world would be blessed through one of their offspring. While Judaism of course does not accept that Yeshua was the long awaited messiah, it was scripturally required that the Redeemer be born of a Jewish woman, a descendant of Abraham and
"Because you have done this,
You are cursed more than all cattle,
And more than every beast of the field;
On your belly you shall go,
And you shall eat dust
All the days of your life.
And I will put enmity
Between you and the woman,
And between your seed and her Seed;
He shall bruise your head,
And you shall bruise His heel."
Due to clearly defined biological and geographical requirements each of the following prophecies made the identity of
the Messiah more clearly defined and less likely to be imitated or manufactured by human means:
A descendent of Abraham - Gen. 18:18; Gen 12:3 ---
Fulfilled - Acts 3:25; Matt 1:1; Luke 3:34
Now we see that the Messiah must be a physical descendent of Abraham and Sarah, through their son Isaac, through his
son Jacob. Messiah must be human, i.e. not a "presence" or impersonal "Christ Consciousness" but a real flesh and blood person. Messiah must be born in
the Hebrew Tribe of Judah, through the family of King David AND must be born in the small village of Bethlehem.
Narrows the possibilities down a bit! The messiah was to be the most important person in human history and when the
time came for his birth it was absolutely essential that there be no question about who he was.
Further, the birth of the Messiah must take place about 445 years after King Artaxerxes issued the order to
rebuild the walls of Jerusalem according to Dan 9:25 --- Fulfilled - Luke 2:1,2; Luke 2:3-7 (* Roman documents record
when Artaxerxes made this proclamation: while Cyrenius was governor in Syria)
Further, the Messiah must be born by a virgin teen age girl according to Isaiah 7:14! --- Fulfilled -
Matt 1:18; Luke 1:26-35
A descendent of Isaac - Gen 17:19 --- Fulfilled -Matt 1:2; Luke 3:34
A descendent of Jacob - Numbers 24:17; Ge 28:14 --- Fulfilled -Luke 3:34; Matt 1:2
A descendent of the Tribe if Judah - Gen 49:10 --- Fulfilled - Luke 3:33; Matt 1:2, 3
Heir to the Throne of King David - Isa. 9:7; Is 11:1-5; II Sam 7:13 --- Fulfilled - Matt 1:1; Matt 1:6
Be born in the rural village of Bethlehem - Micah 5:2 --- Fulfilled - Matt 2:1; Luke 2:4-7
Now, that's specific!
Once the Messiah is born, as a direct result of his birth, a massacre of infants must take place - Jer. 31:15 ---
Fulfilled - Matt
The Messiah, though born in Bethlehem, must live in Egypt as a child - Ho 11:1 --- Fulfilled - Matt 2:14, 15
However, once the Messiah's ministry begins significant portions of it must take place in Galilee - Is 9:1, 2 ---
Fulfilled - Matt 4:12-16
The Messiah must be a prophet - Deut. 18:15 --- Fulfilled - John 6:14; John 1:45; Acts 3:19-26
The Messiah must be a priest - Ps 110:4 --- Fulfilled - John 1:29; II Cor 5:21; Heb 5:5,6; Heb 6:20; Heb
The Messiah must be known for having great wisdom, understanding, diplomacy might and knowledge - Is
45:7 --- Fulfilled - Luke 2:52; Luke 4:18
Then, after a life spent in devotion and holiness:
The Messiah must enter Jerusalem publically hailed by crowds of people as the Messiah. This, with him riding on the
back of a donkey - Zec 9:9;
Is 62:11 --- Fulfilled - John 12:12-14; Matt 21:1-11
The Messiah must be betrayed by a friend - Ps 41:9 --- Fulfilled - Mark 14:10; Matt 26:14-16; Mark 14:43-45
The Messiah must be betrayed by this friend for 30 pieces of silver - Zec 11:12, 13 --- Fulfilled -Matt 26:15;
This blood money must be diverted and given to a local grave yard (potter's field) - Zec 11:13 --- Fulfilled -
The friend who betrays the Messiah must hold an office of trust, which is afterward given to another - Ps
109:7, 8 ---
Fulfilled - Acts 1:16-20
The Messiah must be condemned by false testimony - Ps 27:12, Ps 35:11 --- Fulfilled - Matt 26:60, 61
The Messiah must remain silent during the hearings, offering no defense - Isa 53:7; Ps 38:13, 14 --- Fulfilled -
26:62, 63; Matt 27:12-14
The Messiah must be beaten and spat upon - Isa 50:6 --- Fulfilled - Mark 14:65; Mark 15: 17; John 19:1-3; John
The Messiah must do nothing to warrant these assaults - Ps 69:4; Ps 109:3-5 --- Fulfilled - John 15:23-25
The Messiah must suffer everything for others - Is 53:4-12 --- Fulfilled - Matt 8: 16, 17; Rom 4:25; I Cor 15:3
The Messiah must be publicly executed along with criminals - Is 53:12 --- Fulfilled - Matt 27:38; Mark 15:27,
28; Luke 23:33
The Messiah's hands and feet must be pierced - Ps 22:16; Zec 12:10 --- Fulfilled - John 20:25-27; John 19:37
The Messiah's body must be pierced - Zec 12:10 --- Fulfilled - John 19:34
The Messiah must be mocked and insulted even while undergoing a hideous death - Ps 22:6-8 --- Fulfilled -
27:39-44, Mark 15:29-32
The Messiah must be offered gall - a poisonous plant (like hemlock) - and vinegar - Ps 69:21 --- Fulfilled - John
Matt 27:34, 48
The Messiah must hear the prophetic words about himself mocked - Ps 109:4 --- Fulfilled - Matt 27:43
The Messiah's clothing must be gambled for - Ps 22:18 --- Fulfilled - Matt 15:24; John 19:24
Despite the brutal torture, not one of the Messiah's bones must be broken - Ps 34:20; Ex 12:46 --- Fulfilled -
The Messiah must be buried among the wealthy - Is 53:9 --- Fulfilled - Matt 27:57-60
And after all this!!:
The Messiah must pray for his enemies - Ps 109:4; Isa 53:12 --- Fulfilled - Luke 23:34
The Messiah must rise from the dead - Ps 16:10 --- Fulfilled - Matt 28:9; Luke 24:36-48
The Messiah, after freeing the captives and earning the gift of salvation for humanity, must then be glorified -
--- Fulfilled - Luke 24:50, 51; Acts 1:9
The life, accomplishments and experiences of the Messiah were very clearly spelled out in detail long before
his birth. The only person in the history of the planet to even come close to fulfilling these and the many other messianic
prophecies was Jesus, Yeshua.
There is one other prophecy we should consider, Isaiah 9:
6. For unto us a Child is born,
Note that the Messiah is to have the "dominion" upon his shoulders. This is the same dominion given to Adam and
Eve at Genesis 1:26. Roman 5:11-13 tells us that Jesus was the second Adam. When humanity rebelled against Elohim
we forfeited our God ordained dominion of the earth. According to the prophecies, the Messiah would seek and save
that which was lost (Luke 19:9, 10). Yeshua now has all authority and dominion as confessed by John the Revelator:
Unto us a Son is given;
And the dominion (government) will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty El (God),
Everlasting Father, Governor of Shalom (Prince of Peace).
7. Of the increase of His dominion (government) and peace
There will be no end,
Upon the throne of David and over His sovereigndom,
To establish it and support it with judgment and justness
From that time forward, even forever.
The zeal of YHVH Sabaoth (the Lord of Hosts) will perform this.
According to Isaiah 9 and similar prophecies the Messiah would be called "El Gibor" or the Mighty God."
According to Genesis 3:15 however the Messiah was to be human, a "seed of the woman," and yet the clear teaching of
Scripture, in both Testaments, is that the Messiah was and is God Incarnate. We have spoken above about how the
chances of anyone fulfilling the messianic prophecies grew increasingly unlikely as the details were gradually revealed.
This closes all possibilities! The Messiah must be both fully human AND fully divine! This, no one could do!
17. And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, "Do not be afraid; I
am the First and the Last.
18. I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of
19. Write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which will take place after
The Nicene Creed, written in 325 C.E. (its English version dates from 1549) says, in part:
We believe in one God,
The Church has, from its inception, affirmed the doctrine of the Holy Trinity. This doctrine, in short, says that
there is but one God who is eternally manifested in three distinct forms, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. But is this what
the Bible teaches?
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:
by the power of the Holy Spirit
he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,
and was made human.
Consider Jesus' claims:
With that, they prepared to charge the messiah with blasphemy. The claim that Yeshua was the "Son of God" was
clearly understood as a claim to divinity and equality with Elohim.
66. As soon as it was day, the elders of the people, both chief priests and scribes, came together and led Him into their
67. "If You are the Christ, tell us." But He said to them, "If I tell you, you will by no means believe.
68. And if I also ask you, you will by no means answer Me or let Me go.
69. Hereafter the Son of man will sit on the right hand of the power of God."
70. Then they all said, "Are You then the Son of God?"
So He said to them, "You rightly say that I am."
71. And they said, "What further testimony do we need? For we have heard it ourselves from His own
6. Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
7. "If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know and have seen Elohim."
8. Philip said to Him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us."
9. Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? Those who have seen Me
has seen the Father; so how can you say, "Show us the Father'?
10. Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father
in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the
11. Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.
The Apostles confirm Jesus' divinity:
Messiah Yeshua is the Son of Man. In harmony with Genesis 3:15, he is fully human, the "seed of a woman"
and yet fully Divine, in harmony with Isaiah 9 and other scriptures. John begins his wonderful book with an unequivocal claim that should settle the question of Jesus' divinity once and for all:
13. When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, "Who do men say that I, the
Son of man, am?"
14. So they said, "Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets."
15. He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"
16. Simon Peter answered and said, "You are the Messiah, the Son of Elohim."
17. Jesus answered and said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you,
but My Parent who is in heaven.
18. And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not
prevail against it.
19. And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever
you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."
20. Then He commanded His disciples that they should tell no one that He was Yeshua the Messiah.
1. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with Elohim, and Elohim was the Word.
More Apostolic confirmations:
2. He was in the beginning with Elohim.
3. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.
4. In Him was life, and the life was the light of humanity.
5. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
I Tim 3:16
More scriptural confirmations:
13. The Pharisees therefore said to [Yeshua], "You bear witness of Yourself; Your witness is not true."
14. Jesus answered and said to them, "Even if I bear witness of Myself, My witness is true, for I know where I came
from and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from and where I am going.
15. You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one.
16. And yet if I do judge, My judgment is true; for I am not alone, but I am with the Father who sent Me.
17. It is also written in your law that the testimony of two people is true.
18. I am One who bears witness of Myself, and the Father who sent Me bears witness of Me."
19. Then they said to Him, "Where is Your Parent?" Jesus answered, "You know neither Me nor My Father. If you had
known Me, you would have known My Father also."
20. These words Jesus spoke in the treasury, as He taught in the temple; and no one laid hands on Him, for His hour had
not yet come.
I John 5:
6. This is the one who came by water and blood -- Yeshua Messiah; not only by water, but by water and blood. And it is
the Spirit who bears witness, because the Spirit is truth.
7. For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word,
and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.
8. And there are three that bear witness on earth: the Spirit, the water, and
the blood; and these three agree as one.
9. If we receive the witness of people, the witness of God is greater; for this is the witness which God has testified of
10. One who believes in the Son of God has the witness in him/herself; one who does not believe God has made a liar,
because that one has not believed the testimony that God has given of the Son.
11. And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in the Son.
12. One who has the Son has life; one who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
13. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have
eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.
More scriptural evidence:
John the Baptizer: John1:34
Even the demons confirm Jesus' divinity!
The works of Christ John 5:36
Statements of God: John 5:37
The testimony of the Hebrew Scriptures: John 5:39
Jesus Himself: John 8:14
The Holy Spirit: John 15:26
The Believers throughout the past 2000 years: John 15:27
Jesus is the King of kings and Lord of lords:
19. You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe--and tremble!
33. And the whole city was gathered together at the door.
34. Then Yeshua healed many who were sick with various diseases,
and cast out many demons; and He did not allow the demons to speak, because they knew Him.
29. And suddenly they cried out, saying, "What have we to do with You, Jesus, You Son of God? Have You come here
to torment us before the time?"
I Tim 6:
13. I urge you in the sight of Elohim who gives life to all things, and before Messiah Yeshua who witnessed the good
confession before Pontius Pilate,
14. that you keep this commandment (or mitzvah) without spot, blameless until our Adonay Yehsua Messiah's (our Lord
Jesus Christ's) appearing,
15. which He will manifest in His own time (or seasons), He who is the blessed and only Potentate, the Sovereign of
reigners and Adonay of adoniym,
16. who alone has immortality, dwelling in unapproachable light, whom no
one has seen or can see, to whom be honor and everlasting power. Amen.
John 17:1-2: Jesus spoke these words, lifted up His eyes to heaven, and said: "Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your
Son, that Your Son also may glorify You.
Now, if Yeshua is not fully God then he is in a very bad position! Scripture clearly says again and again:
"I am YHVH, that is My name; And My glory I will not give to another, Nor My praise to carved images -- Isaiah
And yet Jesus is even worshipped:
27. Then He said to Thomas, "Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into
My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing."
28. And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Adonay and my Elohim (My Lord and my God)!"
29. Yeshua said to him, "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen
and yet have believed."
Our Savior is offered praise and glory which is due only to God. He even demanded that he is to be lifted up so that
all peoples will come to him. Who but God could make such claims!:
31. Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.
32. And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself."
33. This He said, signifying by what death He would die.
There is practically no end to such verses. Everything that Jesus said and did, everything that was said about him,
testifies of his Godhead and glory! In this verse he clearly reveals that as Messiah he will "crush Satan" and gain
dominion over the earth, as prophesied at Genesis 3:15. He would allow himself to be lifted up from the earth via his crucifiction, thereby allowing Satan and the powers of the Rebellion to "bruise his heel" as it were. The result of this would be the crushing of Satan and restoration of all things (I Cor. 15:20-28).
38 Then the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom.
39. So when the centurion, who stood opposite
Him, saw that He cried out like this and breathed His last, he said, "Truly this was the Son of God!"
Tis was the Son of God makes it clear that the rest of us are not. The reationship was unique and hte word "Son" implies more than its enlish equivilency.
In this series we have considered the nature of YHVH Elohim, Messiah Yeshua and Ruach ha Kodesh, the
Parent, Child and Holy Spirit. Within the Church of the living God there is much debate on most issues and doubtless
someone will write that they have problems with something in this study. That's fine! What remains is the central
What will you do with this information?
According to Scripture and the direct experience of millions of diverse people from around the world over the past two thousand years it is possible for YOU to KNOW that YOU HAVE eternal life, right now.
What will you do with Jesus Christ?
Regardless of your race, sexual orientation, political views,
economic situation, culture, abilities or disabilities, YOU can personally meet the Savior right now and have the assurance that you have the blessings of Jesus for all eternity.
If you are reading this on the internet, we have a series of pop-ups that explain how you can receive the
assurance of eternal life right now. Just visit our Heaven's Just a Click Away
web site. I'd also like to invite you to write me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jesus Christ, Messiah Yeshua, loves YOU just as YOU are!
Go to: The Nature and Person of YHVW Elohim
Go to: The Nature and Person of Ruach haKodesh
Go to: Our Christianity Home Page
Go to: AllFaith.com's Home Page
Click Here to Meet Messiah Yeshua
Most of the biblical quotes in this piece are from the ExeGeses Ready Research Bible, World Bible Publishers
Iowa Falls IA 50126
Also Considered: Strong's Exhaustive Concordence
The Authorized King James Version
And the New International Version
Go to: Our Christianity Home Page
Go to: Our Religious Studies Home Page
Go to: AllFaith.com