Sh'ma Yisrael Adonai Elohaynu Adonai Echad
Hear, Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is One.
The Way of the Chosen People
What Jews Believe
This page offers links to web sites that discuss Jewish beliefs. Please be aware that there is a lot of diversity in this area and this is only a gateway through which you can further investigate these issues.
This much can be said however: Jewish religion, and only about half of the 13 some odd million Jews alive today are said to be "religious", accept the following general precepts according to Rambam's thirteen principles of faith (which he considers to be the minimal beliefs of all religious Jews):
- G-d exists
- G-d is one and unique
- G-d is incorporeal
- G-d is eternal
- Prayer is to be directed to G-d alone and to no other
- The words of the prophets are true
- Moses's prophecies are true, and Moses was the greatest of the prophets
- The Written Torah (first 5 books of the Bible) and Oral Torah (teachings now contained in the Talmud and other writings) were given to Moses
- There will be no other Torah
- G-d knows the thoughts and deeds of men
- G-d will reward the good and punish the wicked
- The Messiah will come
- The dead will be resurrected
With this understanding, here are some good sources of information on Jewish beliefs and practices:
Go to: Judaism 101
This site is written predominantly from an Orthodox viewpoint, because the author believes [and I concur] that is the starting point for any inquiry into Judaism. As recently as 200 years ago, Orthodoxy was the only Judaism, and it still is the only Judaism in many parts of the world.
Go to: Project Genesis: Torah on the Information Super highway
A good resource for information and interactive discussion.
Go to: E-mail questions to Rabbi Yaakov Spivak
Go to: The Orthodox Union Web Site
Go to: Chabad-Lubavitch in Cyberspace
This is another good source of information
Join the NEW AllFaith Ministries Project